Saturday, June 13, 2015

Long overdue update

For starters, it's obvious that I have messed up and my expectations of making this a daily thing have all but been very disappointing. To both myself and to you whoever is reading this, but you know what... I think it's ok that it's not a daily thing. Because when it was a daily thing although I could reflect I wasn't fully reflecting on what went right, and what went wrong. Making it a less "scheduled" thing allows me to actual sit and ponder about the issues at hand.

And what are those issues, you may ask... well... hmmm, fuck it. Let's start.

I am still making this my life, just needed to understand a couple of things. First of all was that if I want to make a collaborative, I need to work with people that are as dedicated and as dependent on the arts as me. Not make it with people that have, what one would call, a plan B. This is because people like that are very trifling. They are in it only for the now and not for the later. They don't care if in the end it doesn't work out for them, because they still have a plan B. So they will use you and use you, till you can't give them anymore and then throw you away. In the past couple of months I've been surrounded by many of these kinds of people and though they are great human beings, when it comes to actually making it, they don't understand a single thing about the sacrifices that are involved in following such a career. I invested a lot of my time, my money, and my efforts into making shows and shit happen for them. More often than not, giving them my services for free, which ultimately led to a beautiful little disaster because currently I am struggling to pay the rent. So that's lesson one. Work with like minded individuals. AND I MEAN IT. LIKE MINDED INDIVIDUALS.

Second, I learned a very basic thing about selling a product... and I'm sure everyone knows this but no one told me. Don't make merchandise, if you have no place to sell it at. That means making prints, pins, shirts, etc. Hustling art, is not a way of life. It's very difficult and not a thing I would wish on anyone. Wonderful, we got that out of our chest. Perfect. On to the next point.

I'm selling pokemon pins. Buy them... jajajaja, I'm a silly goose.

The actual next point, understand that everything you do online is as valid as everything you do in real life, meaning. If you make animations online and 1 person watches them... Well guess what, you're an animator! Hell, if no one watches them, you are still an animator. Had I known such a thing I would probably be a billionaire right now. What I mean by this is that, it is never too late to make yourself a brand. So start that facebook page, or that website, and everything you make online, be sure that it links to it. Because every single person that watches, reads, or hears your stuff, is a potential client or fan, or whatever the hell you want to call them. Only distance yourself from your brand if you personally feel that what you do or say will hurt your brand. At which point you should make sure to take care of your career first, because if this is a thing you want to do for the rest of your life, you need to understand that it is in fact a career and you need to make decisions based on how they would hurt your brand.

Now on to the actual fun stuff, and not the sad, very angry stuff.

I made a youtube show with my buddy, Chongo. You can check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGPP_tw5sVaARL847hf0OVw

it's a fun little show where we talk and draw stuff for charity. Check it out.

Next, I decided that I was gonna distance my self from the local music scene, as much as I possibly can. It's all fun and games, until you make show and it goes fucking horrible. Your friends turn and stab you and you get made fun of by other rappers, because you aren't making the music they enjoy. It's truly fucked up. So yeah, I'm just gonna focus on making my music, and releasing my music, and whoever wants to hear it can find it, and whoever doesn't well they don't have to listen to it. So I'm simply gonna put off making shows until I have an actual following, and maybe that following never comes, but whatever happens at least I will be proud of what I've created.

I think that's all for today, it's a bit of a sad post coupled with some goodness in it. All in all the moral of the story is, Do Your Thing!

See you all next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment